There is no Christmas without a table full of various selections of food and to go with it one or two alcoholic beverages! In essence, a Christmas meal whether in Cheltenham, Kolkata or any other part of the world, resonates with a Memsahib feast for their friends and family.
A Galouti kebab is a popular choice during any celebration in India; so it is for us during this festive period and who doesn’t like the thought of the kebab made with Turkey mince and served with a brussel sprouts ketchup. For the tipple, our choice is a Christmas Bombay Presidency Punch.
Covid may have destroyed many of our plans and normality of life this year, but we march on to keep fighting and look forward to a prosperous, healthy and happier year ahead. Celebrating with those from the same household or two in a support bubble we raise you a glass and maybe a fork full of Turkey galouti, to celebrate the end of a year most of us would rather forget. The vaccine is undoubtedly the light at the end of the tunnel and we look forward to seeing it and meeting you again in normality with a table full of food expertly paired with our carefully selected Gin Cocktails..
Our Christmas tasting menu and festive afternoon tea are available throughout December. For the menu and more information please click here. We look forward to seeing you, but in the meantime below are a couple of Memsahib’s recipes for you to enjoy this Christmas. If you give these a try, why not send us a picture of your end product.
Seasonal greetings from Memsahib Gin & Tea Bar.
Bar Manager – Paul Radu
Bombay Presidency Punch
with bay leaf and cinnamon reduction
|Complexity:||Easy but Challenging in parts|
|Preparation Time||15 to 20 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||30 to 40 minutes|
|Serves:||6 to 10|
If a man comes into a victualing house to drink punch, he may demand one quart of good Goa Arak, half a pound of sugar and half a pint of good lime water; and make his own punch. If the bowl is not marked with the clerk of the market seal, then the bowl may be freely broken without paying anything either for the bowl or punch.
Order book of the Bombay Government, August 13, 1694
To make bay leaf and cinnamon reduction
2 to 3 fresh or dry bay leaf
2 inches of cinnamon sticks
100-gram Jaggery/Brown Sugar
½ Lemon zest
100 ml of water
- In a saucepan add all the ingredients except lemon zest.
- Bring it to boil then simmer till the liquid reduces in half.
- Now add zest and take off the heat to cool and preserve in a bottle.
To Make punch Ingredients:
400 to 500 ml of Palm Arrack/good Rum
125 gram of Jaggery/light brown sugar
6 lime juice
A few rose petal
2 scoop Lemon/Mango Sorbet
2 cups of water and 2 cups of ice
100 ml of Cinnamon and Bay leaf reduction (rest preserved for later use)
- Break up jaggery and put into a punch bowl.
- Cut the limes into 4 and muddle together until all the jaggery has dissolved.
- Add Arrack and stir, add water and mix it well.
- Add cinnamon and bay leaf reduction and mix it well.
- Now add ice and garnish with grated nutmeg then add sorbet and rose petal.
Ingredients for garnishing punch cups:
2 to 3 cubes of Ice
Couple of mint leaves
1 Kaffir Lime leaf
1 cube of Turkish delight
Teaspoon full of Pomegranate
1 fresh/dry Bay Leaf
Put all the ingredients in a punch cup or highball glass accordingly and the present it with the punch bowl.
Turkey Galouti Kebab
|Preparation Time||25 to 30 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||5 to 7 minutes|
|Serves:||6 to 8|
Turkey Galouti Ingredients
1 Kg Turkey mince (7% fat & triple mince recommended)
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Mint 15 to 20 gram (leaf only)
Coriander 25 gm (leaf & stalk)
Mature Smoked Cheddar 50 gram (grated)
Ginger & Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
Ghee/melted butter 1 tablespoon
Red Onion 1 medium sized finely chopped
Ground garam masala 1 ½ tablespoon
Turmeric 1 teaspoon
Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
Method (marinating and frying)
- Put all the ingredients except mince in a mixing bowl and mix it well.
- Now mix the mince with the mixture and marinate it for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Overnight marination recommended. See optional smoking option below.
- Heat up the pan, add oil and ghee together. Pan-fry the Galouti on high heat for 2 minutes each side, add two crushed garlic and a rosemary stalk then put in the 180 degrees preheated oven for another 3 minutes.
Smoking (optional but recommended) Ingredients
1 tbsp of Ghee
Applewood smoke liquid or a pinch of garam masala
Large mixing bowl
Method of smoking (Hazardous- take extra caution)
- Take the kebab mix in a steel or aluminium bowl. Make an upside-down dome keeping the middle empty for charcoal.
- Tear off kitchen foil to the size of the bowl. This is to cover and make the bowl airtight so that smoke cannot escape.
- Take a small tart roasting round tray and place charcoal in it. Make sure this fits the empty space in the bow.
- Torch charcoal till its glowing red, if a kitchen torch is unavailable then turn the grill to the highest setting and place charcoal underneath.
- Place charcoal in the middle with the tray, drop 5-10 ml of applewood smoke or garam masala and a tablespoon of ghee on top. It should start to create smoke.
- Cover with foil and leave for a couple of hours.
- Remove foil and charcoal from the bowl then mix well and make kebab patty of your desired shape.
Brussel Sprouts Ketchup
|Preparation Time||15 to 20 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||30 to 35 minutes|
1 kg washed brussel sprouts
5 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon of Turmeric
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of Kashmiri chilli
1 green chilli
5 tablespoon of olive oil
2 chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
2 tablespoon of white wine vinegar/ lemon juice
- Put all the ingredients in a pressure cooker and cook for 30 minutes or cook in a pan until the brussel sprouts are soft and ready to blend.
- Once cool – blend and sieve it through and preserve it in the fridge for three months.